From the Shreveport Coach, John Janszen:
Last minute reminders and details. Nothing major.
- Heat Sheets are on the event pages of our team website. Each meet has a different event page.
o They are also now available on the Meet Mobile app.
- We have 18 small 3 row bleachers for all of you on the South side of the competition pool. There is space towards the West End (warmdown pool side) where people can place chairs if they bring them.
- We have a “Ready Bench” or “Clerk of Course” for Saturday setup using chairs in the corner at the start end…although 25’s will start from the bulkhead starting blocks. We’ll have to walk them down.
- SUNDAY we will have limited drinks and snacks available at no charge for swimmers and spectators. Donations will be accepted to go towards the Y’s Annual Campaign.
- Coaches and Officials will have a Hospitality room just down the hall in our conference room. We will have coffee Sunday morning in addition to some snacks and small breakfast items. Drinks will also be available.
- If we have any changes or additions we can work on that at the computer table. We will take Deck Entries in Open Lanes only, no new heats created. We will not take cash for deck entries. We will just include it in the regular meet fees after the meet. So no need to pay on site (and no double charge for deck entry). I figure this will be easier this time around.
Kathy and Rebecca would like you to attend a Parent Meeting on Monday, January 14th at 4:45p and 6:15p (no, you don’t have to attend both). We are hoping the weather will be nice and we can have it on the pool patio, but worst case, we will be in the multi-purpose room for the 4:45 meeting and the lounge by the group exercise rooms for the 6:15 meeting.
When all the meet entries were submitted for the Sunday Champs meet, the time line ran nearly 6.5 hours long. With some discussion among the coaches, it was decided to drop 1 individual event per swimmer. We (Coach Kathy, Coach Rebecca, and I) decided the quickest and best way to accomplish this was to compare times against the a psych sheet and drop the lowest scoring event for each swimmer while maintaining the ability to score points for the team across the events. So your swimmer may or may not be in the events you entered him or her in for that meet. Those that have pointed out incorrect seed times should those corrected at the meet.
Meet entries have been entered. Please review and let me know if there are changes. Relays were tricky this time around and the numbers did not work out very well. Please understand if you asked for your child to be in a relay and they are not.
This month is a little different. We have an opportunity to swim against a new team in a new part of the country. This will actually be 2 different meets to help swimmers qualify for Y nationals. There are several hoops for that, but this gives us a chance to do something different. The meets will be hosted in Shreveport, Louisiana over 2 days. The Saturday meet will not start until 1 pm (warm ups at 12) so there is time to drive in the morning without having to be up at those Dallas times. Then we can spend the night and do it all again early the next morning so the drive back will not be too late. One meet will be a normal meet, but in a single session. The next day will be a scored, single day, championship meet, just like we won last month. We hope you can invest in the weekend, make it a fun trip for the family, and show those Louisiana swimmers what the Barracudas are made of, even when not in home water. Details are below as I have them. Please email the coaches with questions. Comments on the blog are not always seem by the staff that needs to see them. Please note entries will need to be sent via our entry form by our deadline, not to anyone listed in the meet packets. We need time to vet and question entries before sending them on.
Please also email Jacquelyn Kotar if you plan to attend the meet: email@example.com.
Jan 12th and 13th 2019, Shreveport Louisiana
- 2 meets in one weekend with 2 different sets of rules
- Both meets will need entries in by January 2nd, 2019
- Both meets require the swimmer to be a YMCA member in good standing who holds an annual, full privilege membership at the YMCA he/she represents for a period of at least 90 days prior to the first day of the meet. An athlete may have only represented that YMCA team in competition for a period of 90 days prior to the first day of the meet,excluding scholastic competition.
Jan 12th YMCA of Northwest Louisiana Winter Y Classic
- Address: BHP Billiton YMCA
3455 Knight Street
Shreveport, LA 71105
- Up to 3 individual events
- Cost is $4 per individual event, $3 per relay, and a $7 per swimmer facility charge ($22 max per swimmer)
- Warm-ups are at 12 noon with the meet starting at 1 pm, and will only be 1 session.
- 2019 Winter Y Classic Meet Information
- Meet Entry Form
Jan 13th, South Central Regional YMCA Championships
- Address: BHP Billiton YMCA
3455 Knight Street
Shreveport, LA 71105
- Up to 4 individual events, 2 Relays
- Cost is $4 per individual event, $3 per relay, and a $7 per swimmer facility charge ($25 max per swimmer)
- Warm-ups are at 8 am with the meet starting at 9 am, and will only be 1 session.
- South Central Regional Y Championships Meet Information
- Meet Entry Form
Short notice, but this Friday, December 14th, we will be holding our annual BCCY Swim Team Christmas Party and White Elephant Gift Exchange at 7:00 in the Multi-Purpose room at the Benbrook YMCA. We would love for you and your family to join us!
The YMCA will provide the sub sandwiches. Please bring sides and drinks for your family.
Here is the Signup Genius Link to RSVP and let us get a headcount so we order food accordingly:
Additionally, if you would like to participate in the white elephant gift exchange, please bring a wrapped gift. The gift can be something from home that you no longer use, or if you choose to purchase a gift, please make sure it is no more than $5.
We hope to see you all there!
We’ve updated the 2019 schedule to reflect a few changes to the meets.
Jan 12/13 – South Central Regional Champs @ Shreveport, LA
Feb 16 (Sat) -BCCY Meet @ Grapevine/Colleyville ISD Swim Center
Mar 23 (Sat) – Coppell YMCA
Apr 1-5 – YMCA Nationals @ Greensboro, NC
Apr 27/28 – Spring League Champs @ Frisco ISD Natatorium
2018-19 Summer Season
May 19 (Sun) – Town North YMCA
Jun 8/15/22/29 – TBD
Jul 13/14? – Summer League Champs
Jul 25-28? – Lone Star
I know it is short notice, but I will be at the Y this afternoon to pass out shirts and other swag until 7 or so. I will also be at the Y Monday afternoon about the same time.
The up coming schedule for the end of the year will be:
No practice for all groups on December 24, 25, and 26th.
Then only Yellow and Orange will practice in the afternoon on the 27th and 28th. ( No blue or purple that week)
No practice December 31st and January 1st
Afternoon practice for all groups January 2-4
And we will resume regular practice time on January 7th
I hope everyone will have a blessed holiday season!
It is with great pleasure that I announce Kathy Steinbrenner has accepted the role of Head Coach for the Benbrook Barracuda Swim Team!
Kathy comes to us with over 30 years of coaching experience. Most recently, Coach Kathy has coached for Fort Worth Area Swim Team (FAST) and Fort Worth Country Day High School. Kathy is also the founder and head coach of Ridglea Pool Association Swim Team, which began in 2000. Kathy has experiencing coaching developmental groups through advanced swimmers and has coached teams of 150+ individuals.
Before Kathy began coaching, she swam for both University of Houston and Texas A&M swim teams.
Outside of the pool, Kathy is married with grown children.
In order to fulfill her commitment to FAST, Kathy will finish out the month of December with her FAST swimmers and will begin with us after January 1. In the interim, our current coaches will continue to provide leadership to the swim team. We will schedule an opportunity for our parents and swimmers to meet Coach Kathy later this month before she officially begins her position as Head Coach of the Barracudas in January.
Over the almost two months of searching for a new Head Coach, I had the opportunity to hear feedback from several parents on their expectations for our new Head Coach. While there is no replacing Coach Bug and the years of service she gave to our swimmers, I truly believe that Coach Kathy will meet every expectation that was communicated to me. Her coaching philosophy, technical background, family values and faith mirror that of Coach Bug. Please join me in welcoming her to our team with open arms.
If you have any questions, please let me know!